Tuesday, October 31, 2006

from the mouth of babes...

Ma, thanks for being interested in my kid's quotes. I don't need another invitation, so here goes. Actually I should really write an article called "The moments we almost missed" and it'll include....the time I had a ladies' class in a park so the kids can play while the ladies learn. After we got started, I had Chaya'le tugging at my arm and nudging that she wants to tell me something. The typical Mom statement of 'why don't you go play and I'll speak to you after my class is over' didn't work and she kept nudging. Thinking I should really be consistent and teach her to respect a Mom's word, but giving in to my Mom heart and not my thoughts, I excused myself from teaching to listen to the 'secret' she HAD to tell me NOW. So I bent down towards her and she takes a deep breath and says: "Mommy, aren't you afraid to learn Torah in PUBLIC? There are a lot of goyim here and maybe they are not nice to Jews...?!" (tishrei 5767)
And it will include the time that Mendel HAD to tell me ONE MORE THING before I closed his light and said 'good night'. This was after he told me many things, and we had read our stories, said Shma etc etc. SO I thought I should tell him: please save it for tomorrow - I'd love to hear it then - but I listened to my Mom heart instead and gave in...and found out that he had just read the story of Yosef in his parsha book, and he showed me the page where Yosef is on the way to Mitzrayim and davening at Kever Rochel...and as he said, with increasingly watery eyes: "something happened to me, Mommy. You know, when I read something like this, maybe one tear comes out of my eyes...but this time my whole face was wet and the tears just didn't stop coming!" I looked at the page, and the illustration had Yosef as a child at his mother's kever, and the author describes in detail how Yosef cries, asking his mother to come back(?) and Rochel Imainu tells him not to worry, she is with him in his pain, and he should go down to Mitzrayim bc Hashem is with him...
You can imagine we had an interesting discussion about that...
And to think we would've missed those moments! I'm sure there are a ton more...but we'll have to keep you in suspense!
Have a great day and try to catch those moments :)

1 Comments:

At Wed Nov 01, 11:13:00 AM 2006, Blogger Rochie Sudak said...

Oh man Dinie, my whole face was wet with tears too! :)

What did you answer to Chayale's concern? It must've been a good piece of convo for the women too!

And Miriam, that is very funny about Simi. Shows how direct she is. She answered exactly what they asked her!! lol...

Anyway... both of you - keep em coming!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home